Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony BDP-S550 BD Player

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
m...

I've owned the same player for more than five years and have had no trouble.
NO DISK suggests a weak laser. It's also possible you're inserting the disks
"crookedly" (though I doubt it). $110 is less than a repair, but I leave it to
others to decide whether the odds are in your favor.

One of this player's strong points is that it outputs lossless Dolby True HD
and DTS Master Audio as analog. It was one of the last players from any
company to do this. Most later players depend on the system controller to
handle these formats via HDMI, eliminating one or two expensive chips from the
player. /This alone/ is justification for fixing it -- unless you're about to
buy an OPPO.

By the way... Be sure the External Memory stick supplied with the player is
installed. Some disks (such as "Starship Troopers" and "LotR:Fellowship")
won't play without it. And if you have a 6- or 7-channel setup, and don't hear
the two extra channels, look at p49. Change BD Audio Setting from Mix to
Direct.