Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Auto OBD not ready?

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 22 Aug 2013
12:26:30 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
...I'm not aware
of any CGI, since it was filmed in the '60s and used all optical effects
of the day. The transporter effect took the lab a full day's work,
every time they used it.

http://www.shadowlocked.com/201103241644/opinion-features/star-trek-remastered-and-the-subtle-art-of-cgi.html
"Could this be the first time anybody has used CGI with restraint?"
jsw

The serious question asked is not "how much can we do?" but "how
little need we do?"
"An engineer knows he is done, not when there is nothing left to
add, but when there is nothing left to remove."

Now I'm glad I didn't buy the overpriced DVDs. Star Trek was the
best of low budget Science Fiction movies & TV of its day, and CGI
destroys that.

CGI is like car chase and explosions - if you don't know what to
do, throw in a [ fill in the blank]. If done "well" the audience
doesn't notice that the other character is a puppet, a guy in a rubber
suit, or a live capture CGI, or a complete creation - ala Snow White
and the seven dwarves. Or even if it is a guy in street clothes
"pretending" to be the King of the Scots in 11th century Scotland.
If done "badly - you notice. "They're out of ideas, now they'll
jump in the car and drive across town." Blow something up. Have some
more CGI aliens.

--
pyotr filipivich