Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Paint - still with the 'brush strokes' !!

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.w172kvvg2cx0wh@ajm
Ok, guys, here's the challenge: What to do to prevent
brush strokes. And, don't tell me roll it on, because
that just makes the 'brush' strokes different, less
controllable, and a giant mess if not careful.

Problem: After painting, the wall looks like corduroy!
Using 'high quality' paint from Dunn Edwards. I'm
fighting brush strokes like gang busters! Perhaps, it is
because the paint is a bit tacky within 10 seconds, and
'dry' to the touch within a minute !! No wonder the paint
can't flatten BEFORE it's dry!
Actions to date:
I added Floetrol, from Home Depot. That, just changed
the color a bit. and cost a lot. Seems like coating the
wall with Floetrol and a little paint.
I added Glass Cleaner, cheap from Walmart, Not bad,
getting closer. Almost works.
Have not tried adding a bit of distilled water, yet.

Background:
Consider the Dunn Edwards paint left by the painters
circa 2010 - use sparingly, keep for perfect matching,
call it Paint A Also, consider the 'new' Dunn Edwards
paint same color, but they admit to 'slight' change in
color nomenclature, call it Paint B.
Smell of Paint A is pungent, rarely have to stir it in
its 5 gal bucket, and NEVER leaves a paint stroke. That
stuff comes out FLAT!
Smell of Paint B is pungent [but different], have to stir
each day before use, and ALWAYS leaves paint strokes.

Need a solution:
What I need is a 'wetting' chemical that makes/allows
the paint to go flat BEFORE it dries.
Should I add Jet-Dri?

Try water.
_____________

You do realize that it takes considerable time for paint to actually dry
beyond the finger dry stage, right? And that the paint film becomes
increasingly thinner as it dries over a week's time or more? How thickly
are you applying the paint? You really shouldn't be laying it on thick
enough to leave brush marks.

Concerning rollers, they really do leave a better surface. Again, if it is
applied properly. Best way I have found is to load the roller and them make
an "M" or "W" about 30" square on the wall; one then rolls that - back and
forth - in all directions...updown, leftright, NESW, NWSE. Feather
the edges and feather the next "M" into it.
___________________

Despite the above, I *do* empathize with you. Many water base paints are
more like soft set Jello than paint and are difficult to feather. I'm not
sure why they make them that way but strongly suspect it has something to do
with women wanting to paint things

Personally, I have given up trying to get a good latex paint job on woodwork
(walls, NP); instead, I make a stippled one by re-rolling when the paint is
pretty tacky. Works for me, YMMV.

Time was, I wouldn't even consider using latex on woodwork but oil base
paint is getting too hard to come by.

--

dadiOH