Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default radio issues in a pickup truck was Non squeal VFD

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 22 Aug 2013
12:06:15 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:
"Bob La Londe" fired:
Hmmmm... I'm not sure any of that makes a point, but its some nice
anecdotal information to consider. LOL.

Bob,
I used not to be comfortable in a room with a TV which had a loose
bracket on the flyback transformer. The 17.5KHz deflection frequency
literally drove me out of the room!

15,734.34 Hz for color, 15,750 Hz for B&W. The reason for the
difference is to eliminate a color beat, but allow existing TVs to see
color broadcasts.

Some people are more "perceptive" than others. The effect of
fluorescent light bulbs for some folks is not "illumination" but
"disco strobe light" - which makes concentrating in school or at work
"difficult".

Tangent question - AM radio reception in a pickup truck. ('98
Mazda, EFI, manual 244000 miles)

I leave 'near' Everett WA, twenty miles as the seagull flies from
Paine Field (a bit farther if the seagull is driving and stuck in
traffic.) I cannot believe that I live so far out in the boonies,
that I can't pick up local radio stations. (At night - the two
strongest stations are in Calgary and Vancouver BC. Kind of tough to
figure the local weather from their reports - in Celsius, no less. But
I digress.)
Regardless, and I realize diagnosing electrical troubles by mail
is right up there with getting financial advice on the radio and other
forms of occult prognostication, I have noticed a couple things. I
get over the ridge - and past the high-tension power lines - and I can
generally get the Seattle Stations. But sometimes, especially when I
tune to ~550 AM, I get a "sound" - sort of like a marlin Brando
clearing his throat on sideband. a sort of 'pop' - gargle, 'pop' -
gargle, 'pop' - gargle,'pop' - gargle', pop' - gargle.
It isn't (as far as I can tell) related to engine speed - in fact
I can shut off the engine, energize the circuit and the radio is
clear, then pop the clutch, resume engine running - and no pop-gargle.
Also, on occasion I have "joggled" the key - returning it back to the
proper detent for "engine is running", not part way to "engage starter
solenoid!" - it has cleared up. For a while.

Now with that collection of wonderfully accurate set of technical
descriptions, no doubt you can channel the mighty psychic powers of
the Late Great Carnac and know exactly what is the source of my woes.
(Aside from the County PUD.) And what the solution is, aside from
"Plug the ipod in and listen to that instead."

thanks in advance.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich