Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Shrinking a carpet?

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:13:15 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Anyhow, now everyone who's kept up with this thread knows more about
shampoo'ing carpets than 99% of home owners.

Not exactly.

We have never discussed steam cleaning using a truck / van mounted
unit.

Or using a van mounted steam cleaning unit to clear ice dams from gutters.

My buddy had a steam cleaning unit in his van. In an effort to increase his
income, and considering that few people have their carpets cleaned in that
manner during the winter, he decided to see if he could convert his unit
into an ice dam clearing device.

He fitted a hose with a high pressure nozzle so he could use the hot water
to cut through the ice dams. At that same time I had a serious ice dam
problem with water leaking into my house, so we made a deal. I would shoot
a video as he tested his device on my ice dams so he could use it as
advertising and he would clear my ice dams for free.

Well, I sure got the better end of that deal. His "invention" did a great
job of clearing the ice dams, but the mist caused such a coating of ice on
the ladders, my deck, the ground, the roof, etc. that it was extremely
dangerous. It was bad enough for me just walking around on the ground
filming and moving the chunks of ice that he cut off. It was much, much
worse for him trying to move around on the roof and ladder. He decided that
there was no way he could get insurance for his crew based on the coating
of ice that covered everything.

Oh well, nice try!