nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminn View Post
Mr. Clean? Yike! I had looked over the website for a local business
that did only cleaning of Oriental rugs...they explained how they did it
and that they used Woolite. I use it in the washer, as well, on
delicate cycle, cold water, for my wool sweaters. They never bleed dye
with Woolite, so I'm confident about using it on good rugs.
Persian rugs and area rugs are commonly hand woven from wool, and so I expect that's why your local companies use Woolite on them. All of my living room carpets are either Olefin or solution dyed nylon fiber, and I find that any general purpose detergent works fine in removing dirt from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminn View Post
Hubby wouldn't help haul the rug outside for cleaning, so I cleaned it
in place. I used the watering can to saturate it first with Woolite,
and then again for rinses, and scrubbed it with the soapy solution on it
and used a stiff scrub brush. Hubby worked in garage at the time and
the blackness of the dirt appeared to be grease, but it came out fine.
I used the regular floor attachment to pick up the water, which it did
very nicely. Afterward, I laid some pvc pipes under the rug to help
speed drying with the fan running....careful not to raise parts up too
high and make ridges when it dried. Dried in less than 24 hrs, looked
great.
I have both a carpet blower (that works like a powerful fan, but blows only near floor level) and a dehumidifier that I use to dry the carpet after I've shampoo'd it in an apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminn View Post
I get mine at the pet store for my darling grand-Schnauzer who likes to
leave a gift whenever he visits....last time, he had pooped about a hr.
before I was ready to take him out again. He was resting in the LR when
I called him to go out; he promptly walked over to show me the little
pile he had made by the front door, and then scooted back to where he
had been resting and looked up at me with his "I'm sorry" look. He got
yelled at last time, for urinating right next to me at the computer and
got his nose rubbed in it. Only time ever, never again. If he didn't
get the message, he never will. He spent the first six years of his
life in a kennel, so house-breaking has been pretty successful and he is
a heck of a sweet dog.
"Nature's Miracle", which most pet stores sell for cleaning up dried up pet urine is also effective at removing the smell of pet urine from carpets and other flooring. I've never used it though.