nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norminn View Post
What about Woolite? That is what I used on a wool Oriental rug
(expensive, and very dirty)....cleaned in place with watering can, scrub
brush, Shop Vac, fan.

We had a vacuum cleaner salesman stop by; my idiot husband let him in
the door. Don't recall the brand, but the price was around $1300. He
did the usual spiel and demo with filter paper to show me how much dirt
my vac. left in the carpet. He was in no hurry, so we chatted quite a
while. Very friendly guy. I asked him if I could have a piece of his
filter paper. Sure. I hooked up my 40 y/o Electrolux, put a piece of
filter paper across the nozzle, and showed him how much dirt HIS sweeper
left on the carpet. )

I've heard of Woolite, but have never used it. I've never had real wool carpet in my building or in any of my apartments. However, if the 1-800 customer service phone number on your container of Woolite says you can use it to clean wool carpets as well as wool fabrics, then I'd use it on your wool carpet, too.

I used to use carpet soap made by a company called ChemSpec which is a well respected name in the janitorial services sector of the economy. But, I've found that their carpet soap really doesn't work any better or worse than any all-purpose detergent like Mr. Clean or Fantastik.

It's important to use a good quality vaccuum cleaner to remove the solid soils from your carpet. You can also, however, use a Shop Vac style wet/dry vaccuum cleaner to clean liquid spills out of your carpet. Just press the end of the suction hose directly against the carpet pile and use the air flow through the hose to suck up as much liquid as you can.

You can also go to any Janitorial Supply outlet that carries carpet cleaning products and buy cleaning chemicals made especially for the kind of stain that's on your carpet. They're called "spotting solutions" or "spotters".

Professional carpet cleaning contractors will buy a "spotting kit" like the one shown below:

http://www.deltacleaning.co.uk/image...ting%20kit.jpg

That kit will contain anywhere from 8 to 22 cleaning solutions, each one for removing a particular type of stain; such as blood; ink and toner; coffee and tea; feces and urine; fruit juices; edible synthetic dyes such as Kool-Aid or Crystal Lite, etc.

You just go to any place listed under Janitorial Equipment & Supplies in your yellow pages phone directory that sells carpet cleaning supplies and ask for a spotting solution for whatever kind of stain you want to remove.

You read the instructions on the spotting solution and typically spray it onto the stain with one spray bottle, agitate with your fingers, suck up the soiled cleaner with the suction hose of your wet/dry vaccuum, repeat as necessary, spray clean water onto the area with another (or the same) spray bottle, work the water in with your fingers and then suck the rinse water out with your wet/dry vaccuum. If you can read and understand Engrish, you'll be able to remove stains from your carpet using a wet/dry vaccuum cleaner just as well as any of the professional carpet cleaning contractors in town can. And, you'll be able to remove stains far more effectively than by buying one of those $400 mini carpet shampoo'ers made by Bissell, Hoover or Eureka because not only are you using a cleaning product made specifically for the kind of stain you've go, but you have WAY more suction available to you. The more soiled cleaning solution you get out of the carpet, and the more soiled rinse water you get out of the carpet, the cleaner your carpet will be when it dries.

You can't clean an entire carpet that way, but you can certainly get stains out of a carpet that way.

You don't need to buy an entire carpet spotting solution kit. You just buy whatever kind of stain remover you need, which is exactly what carpet cleaning contractors do when they run out of one kind of stain remover.

Last edited by nestork : August 21st 13 at 08:05 PM