Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another Recent Application - And more ON TOPIC metalworking content

On 21 Aug 2013 00:06:50 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-08-20, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
So I promised to post some of our challenges here...

Anyhow... He calls me a few days ago with a new challenge. He needs to
drill six holes in one stroke. 7/8" diameter in ductile cast iron.
Nothing fancy, just needs thru holes for mounting a flange-type part.

[ ... ]

We came up with a staggered length head design that we believe will work
for him. In essence, the machine will only see the load of two holes at
a time as the "bits" will pass thru the part before the next two engage,
etc.

Just out of curiosity -- is he going to be using split-point
drills? He should, as they should reduce the thrust needed
significantly.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Indeed they will!

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer."
Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013