Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default OT. - HS2

On 20/08/2013 23:38, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:

On 20/08/2013 18:19, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:

Except we as a country, never agreed.

Our elected representatives agreed, so the country agreed,
irrespective of whether some citizens disagreed. That is how our
democracy works.

I'd say no government has the right (whether in their manifesto or not)
to give away sovereignty.

Indeed. That is the prerogative of Parliament.

Oh come. You know what I mean. Parliament may do it but that is not why
we elect MPs. We elect them to run the country under the existing
framework.

We elect them in the hope that they will do at least some of the things
they promised to do in their manifesto.

For even Parliament to give away our sovereignty without a
referendum is an abuse of power.

It is not as Parliament is not, in any way, bound to consult the people
in making its decisions and it is the ultimate arbiter of what its
powers are.

Colin Bignell