Andy Wade

Default should unswitched live should as live on a neon screwdriver?

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message ...

I'm not even guessing which it actually is,

Definitly capacitive, but the terminology can be confusing because the
effect that we call capacitance comes about because of induced charge
(called "electrostatic induction" in days gone by).

but if you lay an audio cable alongside a mains cable - especially
one fed from with a dimmer - the resultant buzz is always called
induction.

That is inductive coupling since it's the current flowing in the mains
cable, rich in harmonics due to the dimmer, that is causing a small EMF to
be induced in series with your audio circuit.

Perhaps I should have said induced which is suitably vague. Even for
this group. ;-)

There'd still have been a debate.

*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Stockbroker: someone who keeps investing your money until it's all gone
[Woody Allen].

--
Andy