Posted to alt.home.repair
Taylor[_4_] Taylor[_4_] is offline

Default How to turn off fire sprinkler?

replying to bob, Taylor wrote:
nospam wrote:

I live in an apartment with several fire sprinkler in the ceiling.
If the sprinkler goes off due to fire or malfunction, can I turn it off
after the fire is out? Is it the same valve near the water heater or is
there a different one?
Im more worry about water damage (to electronics and computers) than

fire
damage. Perhaps because Ive never had a fire before and this is the

first
time I moved to a place with fire sprinklers.
Alternately, is there a switch to cut off power to computers or other
devices when it senses water? This would reduce short-circuits caused by
water when the device is powered.

They have tools out there to stop the water from flowing. Check out
www.quickstoptool.com. By the time the fire department gets there,
locates your main water shut off valve and the system drains, you will
have plenty of damage inside that could be avoided if you have a shut off
tool on hand. Since most sprinklers are serviced, a malfunction is
unlikely, its vandalism (whether intentional or not) that a lot of times
causes unnecessary damage. As I say all of this, the benefits to having
sprinklers outweighs the risk of potential damage. But for peace of mind,
there are tools out there that anyone can use. And if I was living on the
bottom floor, I would buy my neighbor one who lives above me incase their
sprinkler head gets damaged.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-639253-.htm