Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default Another Recent Application - And more ON TOPIC metalworking content

On 8/20/2013 9:38 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Aha. I gather that, in regard to the present job, the idea is just to
assure the bits will enter the bushings without clanging against the
top openings.

Sort of... The platform that drives the heads is stable enough to keep
that from happening normally. Without drill bushings, it's to help
control vibration and hole location a bit - with "a bit" being the
operative words but no pun intended.

With rigid tooling, making a hole in a round pipe is still a challenge.
Drill bushings are the #1 solution. Very short tooling and as much
stabilization of the driver is #2...

Is the customer planning to use a conventional drill jig?

You know, I wish I could answer that. We hear so very little from
customers post-implementation that I'm not sure how he is setting that
up - or has set it up in the past for that matter...

I presume that because it is a fixed, dedicated set-up that the drill
bushing plate will have renewable inserts and be anchored to the work
surface somehow. ...He may not ever retract the tooling 100% out of the
bushing for all I know...

--
http://tinyurl.com/My-Official-Response

Regards,