Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. - HS2

On Tuesday 20 August 2013 13:32 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 20/08/13 09:03, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

And the cost, 10 times that of pylons. Anyone know the highest voltage
they put underground?

"Murphy is one of the UKs leading tunnelling
contractors with a wealth of experience in the design,
construction and fitting out of cable tunnels. We have
successfully delivered a number of high-profile
infrastructure power projects, including the Olympic
Park (132/400kV Cable Tunnels)"

http://www.murphygroup.co.uk/uploads...er%20Brochure/

Power%20Brochure.html#/8/zoomed

So 400kV underground has to be in a tunnel rather than buried?

I wouldn't be surprised

Is that AC? Not sure I'd like to be walking along next to it.

yes, HVDC is only worth doing for seabed or very long cables.

And more importantly, where you cannot phase lock both ends...

Reading this on the web? See: