Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default OT. - HS2

In article k,
Road_Hog scribeth thus

"charles" wrote in message
. ..

Fly: Public transport to Heathrow 1.5 hours check in time +2hrs, flight
time 1hr, wait for luggage 0.5 hr, public transport to city centre (it
might be quicker by tram) 0.75 hr. that's nearly 6 hours.

--

Oh do **** off, who in their right mind would rather take the train, than
fly that distance.

Back in the day when I travelled a lot, they wanted the same money for a
train fron London to Newcastle, as they did for a business class flight (on
BMI), which included access to the lounge, free beer and a bit of food,
whereas rail travel got you a cup of tea and biccies.

Last time we did Cambridge to Aberdeen, Train out Flight home, the
flight was only a half hour less in overall time from destination to
home.

The problem is that the flight of course by itself is very quick, but
the collateral in getting to the airport checking in and the waiting
around, a delayed flight sometime makes it not that competitive with the
train...

--
Tony Sayer