Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default OT. - HS2

In article , John Williamson
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In article , John Williamson
scribeth thus
Nightjar wrote:
On 19/08/2013 19:33, polygonum wrote:
Personally i'd use the railway system for freight, and invest in
marshalling yards controlled by computers.
I've always thought marshalling yards a very inefficient way of
assembling wagons into trains - whether computer controlled or not.
Surely it would be possible to make bits of track slide from one line to
another?...
Aka transporters. A number were installed in the first Paddington
station at Bishop's Bridge Road. Presumably, had they been successful,
we would see them in widespread use today.

Expensive, unreliable and slow, but worth it for moving rolling stock
from track to track where space is extremely limited, such as in
carriage and wagon repair facilites and locomotive sheds where the
conventional layouts can't be fitted in.

Goods trains ain't quite what they used to be if you've seen any of
late;?...

I have, as I drive over the top of Crewe marshalling yard on a regular
basis. It's all containers and bulk now, with a large helping of
maintenance trains, all of which tend to use a fixed formation which
only needs splitting for wagon maintenance.

Thats the point the olde mixed freights are no more part from on a
preserved line;!..

Passenger trains likewise,
they're mostly multiple units of various sorts nowadays.

No fun really;(...

--
Tony Sayer