Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Mains quality monitoring

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:58:53 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

... the spec never actually changed to +/- 10%. It's still 230 V

+10%
-6% (216 - 253 V).

I know te supply was +10%/-6% but I thought it had eventually changed
(nominally) to +/-10%, or is it that appliances have to be designed to
accept +/-10% now?

There was a date given to change to +/- 10% spec and appliances, a
date several years ago but I'm fairly sure that any action on that
date got quietly dropped and we (and Europe) have remained on the 230
+10% -6%.

230 +/-10% is 207 to 253 and a heck of range for kit to deal with.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Depends on the kit. A lot of stuff like TVs that would in the past have not
enjoyed the mains fluctuating over these sorts of limits, now use SMPS with
a PFC front end that doesn't care from 90 volts to 260 volts, allowing the
same supply to be used world-wide. Many of these multi-stage switchers will
actually start up at voltages as low as 30 volts

Arfa