Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Non squeal VFD

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 13:05:14 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
Packing line upgrade time...

My bin dump water pump is the largest noise maker in the system. I
quickly tried a VFD a couple years ago and it SQUEALED far worse than
the excess motor noise. Just as pleasant as listening to chalk squeal
on a blackboard.

Anyway, this time I want to buy a 1/2 hp VFD that doesn't have carrier
wave noise. Suggestions? BTW, the unit will be located 75' of wire
from the motor. Is a reactor needed in this case?

Karl

What is the actual source of the noise?

I run a 1/2HP VFD and 5HP VFD in the high power side cabinet on my Hurco,
and both are virtually silent. The servo dithering is louder than either
one.

Like Gunner said, and you implied, I just had bad luck last time. i
also have many VFDs with no noise. But, this is a much quiter level,
trying to get less noise than a dot matrix printer.

The problem was two years ago, maybe more. Folks on this group said it
was carrier wave and I seem to remember reactor being suggested. But
my memory sux and maybe who ever said it was full of beans.

Anyway, should i pop for a reactor? I've bought from automation direct
before with good results.

Karl