Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default OT. - HS2

On 19/08/2013 15:43, Java Jive wrote:
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 21:44:05 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

Well what do you expect. The Frogs have twice the land area we have

True

, so
are in a position to run a railway line right across the country without
it upsetting anyone, 'cos where it goes is all fields.

Untrue. What makes you think the sort of people who live out in the
country are going to be any less upset by development than those who
live in the cities? I would expect them to be more upset, because
such development would be a more noticeable impact on the environment.
A motorway or railway in an urban area is just one more source of
noise and pollution amid many, whereas out in the country it is a
major encroachment and a significant reduction in the quality of life.

I heard that when the TGV lines were being constructed, the French
people caused a lot of problems by buying up land on the proposed route
in 1m2 blocks, making it very expensive and time consuming to
compulsorarily purchase the land. I also heard that it was not the
people along the route that were doing it, but people from elsewhere
hoping that it would force a diversion *TO* their town!

SteveW