Roy Smith

Default electrical question on 30A outlet

In article ,
"xrongor" wrote:

i just got done wiring my garage and as we forgot to buy one, he just told
me to go buy one later and put in a 220V 30A outlet. we wired it to the
panel and all, just left the wires loose in the box which is located right
below the panel.

the electrician told me to run the copper wire to the neutral prong instead
of the white wire.

What kind of receptacle did you put in? "220V 30A" could be one of
several. Take a look at http://www.quail.com/nema.cfm. The receptacle
you bought should have a NMEA number, something like 6-30R, 10-30R, etc.
They get wired up different ways. Without knowing which you put in,
it's impossible to tell if you did it right or not.