Posted to alt.home.repair

Default frequent pump runs

On Sunday, August 18, 2013 10:06:42 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 8/18/2013 8:54 AM, Harry K wrote:

??? I have never heard of a tank going bad that fast and I have been

mainintain my well and neighbors for a long, long time. My well was

put in in the 80s and the tank is still alive and well. A tank

failing in 6-7 years would have to be due to something in the water

eating the tank or bladder.

I don't think the quality of tanks/diaphragms is what it used to be is a

large (the largest?) part of it -- the first on the new well here lasted

nearly 30 yr; the replacement of it was also long-lived but not as long

as that I'd guess; that was during the hiatus while was gone for 30-yr

in VA/TN. In the fifteen yr since we've been back we're now on the

third--counting the one that was failing when moved back...same batwell,

same ba****er.

I think next time I'm just going back to the old straight tank and air

bubble over it -- sure, have to recharge occasionally but there's no

bladder/diaphragm to fail.

You shouldn't have to recharge it. Before the bladder type tanks,
the traditional ones for decades had simple self regulation
systems that added air in automatically if needed. It's just
that like everything else that after a long enough time they
would fail too and then the tank would water log.