Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11083 Ignoramus11083 is offline

Default New low for RCM

On 2013-08-18, Paul K. Dickman wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 10:12:37 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

On a side note..a friend just salvaged about 500 lbs of gold plated
old computer connectors and pins. Are they worth salvage for the
gold? And how is that best accomplished?

He is asking me for people or methods to do it.

Gunner

If he has 500lbs of actual gold plated material then it is probably worth
it. If he has 500lbs of crap with gold plated contacts on it, tell him to
clip off the contacts and wait till he has a lot more.

An oz of gold goes a long way in plating. Even with heavy plating, there
might be .001oz in a square inch of plate.

What Gunner's friend should do is sell those connectors on eBay. Do
not try to smelt that gold.

For eBay, I would certainly split that gold plated stuff into lots
fitting a large flat rate box.

1) Make good closeup pictures representative of the material
2) Weigh it honestly and accurately
3) List as "LOT,__ LBS OF GOLD PLATED SCRAP RECOVERY COMPUTER CNC CONNECTOR PINS"
4) Place on eBay for auction for 0.01 starting bid.

I did sell some gold plated pins this way, and was very satisfied with
the final bid and transaction.

The 0.01 starting bid will be bid up to its actual market value.

Many things should not be sold at 0.01c starting bid auctions, but
gold pins will work out OK.