Posted to alt.home.repair
CRNG[_2_] CRNG[_2_] is offline

Default frequent pump runs

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 09:19:16 -0400, Frank
wrote in Re
frequent pump runs:

On 8/18/2013 7:56 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 15:52:35 -0500, dpb wrote in
Re frequent pump runs:

On 8/17/2013 2:44 PM, mcdonnep wrote:
Hie everyone. I have a submersible pump with a fl 7 composite bladder
tank. The pump turns on at 40 and off at 60. Every time I flush the
toilet, the pump turns on. Is this normal? I thought that the tank should
hold more that 1 toilets worth of water. I don't know how much the toilet
holds, house was built in 1991. Thanks in advance for the help.
mcdonnep

The tank is waterlogged -- you can try draining it entirely (after
turning of pump, of oourse) and then checking the pressure. Should be 2
lb under the cut-in pressure -- 38 in your case.

+1 on the "waterlogged". Here's a bit more detail on hot to correct.

1) Shut power to pump

2) Open a "lowest" sink or hose valve and drain tank completely.
Leave valve open.

3) Add air pressure to you tank until you are at 38 psi.

4) Close the valve opened in (2) above.

5) Turn on pump.

If the problem happens again in less than a year or two, you will need
a new pressure tank, but can get by for as long as you are willing to
repeat the above procedure. However that is not recommended as
frequent cycling of the pump shortens it's life.

I've never checked pressure in mine and note that last tank was
installed 8 years ago. I had written on the tank that the installer
said bladder pressure should be set at 25 - 28 pounds.

Well, if the pump power-on pressure is 40 psi, most people would set
the empty tank bladder pressure to about 37 psi. I'm not sure what
happens if you do that.

This is third pressure tank on my well over its ~35 year lifetime.

That seems like a lot. How do you know the tank really needed
replacing and not just a recharge?