Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need regex code for counting newsgroups

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 06:37:29 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 19:03:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 12:56:55 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 12:51:54 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

There was a thread some time ago on ways to kill postings with too many
cross-posts. Some of these methods involved regular expressions, most
likely counting commas in the newsgroups header. Can anyone provide a
pointer to the thread, or related threads?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

You can set that in Agent 6.0 in folder properties. Today, I've been
using the Message-ID field for the new flock of bozos. When I see a
message id containing "theremailer" or "dont-email.me", it's a pretty
good bet for the bin.

How are you doing that, Pete? I only see a Message-ID field in
filtering emails, not Usenet posts.

H key to show the headers, then make a new filter with the message id
in the filter expression like below.

The "\" is needed in front of the "." in the regular expression
language so that it isn't interpreted as a wildcard.

Aha! Peachy. I'll give that a try. Thanks. Maybe this will work
for reference headers, too. If I can catch the orig. message (he's
filtered in my reader) when he's being referred to, I can end the spam
created when good folks (guilttripping Gunner, et al) reply to said
spammers.

I've been asking Agent techs (Beck, Gold, Prince) for text (or more
header) filtering for a decade now, to no avail.

--
Truth loves to go naked.
--Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732