Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default frequent pump runs

On 8/18/2013 8:54 AM, Harry K wrote:

??? I have never heard of a tank going bad that fast and I have been
mainintain my well and neighbors for a long, long time. My well was
put in in the 80s and the tank is still alive and well. A tank
failing in 6-7 years would have to be due to something in the water
eating the tank or bladder.

I don't think the quality of tanks/diaphragms is what it used to be is a
large (the largest?) part of it -- the first on the new well here lasted
nearly 30 yr; the replacement of it was also long-lived but not as long
as that I'd guess; that was during the hiatus while was gone for 30-yr
in VA/TN. In the fifteen yr since we've been back we're now on the
third--counting the one that was failing when moved back...same batwell,
same ba****er.

I think next time I'm just going back to the old straight tank and air
bubble over it -- sure, have to recharge occasionally but there's no
bladder/diaphragm to fail.

How much, if any, has to do w/ all the new EPA requirements on
manufacturing so that the rubber compounds aren't what they used to be
or how much is just seeing how cheaply they can be made I don't know,
but I'd surely not bet on any new tanks lasting nearly what the old ones
used to...