Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

Default Bouncing cells?

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message ...

On a sunny day (Sun, 18 Aug 2013 11:00:54 +0200) it happened Robert Roland
wrote in :

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 05:14:21 GMT, Jan Panteltje
wrote:

Forgot to do the bounce test on the empty one...

The video mentions alkaline batteries. The Eneloop is a NiMH
rechargable battery.

Yes I mentioned that.

If so it is not detectable on my scales (resolution 10 grams)
I have a more sensitive one too, but those batteries are too heavy for it.
Would have to set up some differential measurement method, but not
interesting enough.

Rechargable batteries have a safety valve that will blow off gas if
the battery is greatly overcharged. This would suggest that a fully
charged battery has more gas in it than a discharged one.

But a balloon full of gas, the right gas, helium or hydrogen for example,
will measure lighter.
Even hot air will do.

;-)

If that is
correct, it would follow that fully charged battery should bounce more
than an empty one.

Is it not more the case that the amount of bounce has more to do with the
shock waves moving through the medium inside the battery, rather than the
actual mass of the battery?
e.g. a battery full of a glass-like medium would bounce more than if that
same medium was changed by chemical reaction into a more jelly type medium?

Cheers,

Gareth.