Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Popcorn ceiling can be redone?

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 21:09:32 +0000, JE (Elaine) Lawless
wrote:

replying to orangetrader, JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:
orangetrader wrote:

I have popcorn ceiling (yeah I know it's ugly) and after hurricane Frances
there were some leaks which I fixed. Unfortunately some moisture got to

the
ceiling and there is a seam along the ceiling drywall that started peeling
off. I used a drywall puddy knife and scaped off an area about 6 inches
wide and 3" long that has no popcorn now.
I then tried to buy those popcorn repair kid...no luck...I cannot apply

that
stuff into the area I scaped to match the look of the rest of the ceiling.
It's impossible. Plus the cottage cheese doesn't stick well anyways.

Maybe scrape off the repair you tried to make, paint the damaged part
white, paint a dotted line in some other color, leaving room to write
in black, "Open on dotted line" or "Open popcorn on dotted line." I'm
sure it wil get a laugh from anyone who visits and as a ceiling, it
will just as well.

So now I am thinking of hiring someone to respray the entire room, covering
that spot and the rest of the room as well. Can a total respray mask the
spot or will it be worse apply popcorn on popcorn?

Yes, I found repairing an area a real hassle - (unsuccessful ). If a
repairman can't patch it, the entire room should look the same when it's
all new - if he knows what he's doing.