Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Shrinking a carpet?

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 22:41:57 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Be careful else you may have to redo seams.

I've never had a seam rip.

Hot melt taping a carpet together is not a job for an amateur. I used
to do that, but now when I have to install carpet in a 14 foot by 14
foot room, I buy a 15 foot long, 15 foot wide Berber instead so that I
don't have to do any taping.

What if the carpet transitions into another room with carpet? It
needs a seam (doorway).

I'd tell anyone in this forum that they can restretch their own carpet,
but I'd tell them to hire a pro to hot melt seams back together if the
tape lets go.

I learned as a teenager to seam carpet. Easy to learn - but one needs
to learn from a pro. There is more to a good job than just melting
glue

Carpet at one time was sewn together at the seam - now that would be a
skill to have.