Posted to alt.home.repair

Default powering a 12v 1HP winch

On Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:37:13 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2009 7:57:03 PM UTC-5, elbrecht wrote:

I picked up a winch that I'll be using to pull dirt out of my

basement. So now I need to power it.

It is a one horse motor- 2000lb capacity.

http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-114.../dp/B0015D4ZH0

I'll be using it to pull a [roughly] 300pound load up a wheeled

incline for 20 feet--- then it will rest for 30 minutes or so-- then

repeat. Probably not more than 3 times. . . then do it again

tomorrow.

So I won't be working the thing real hard. What are some thoughts

on how to power it.

I've thought of a marine battery- and trickle charge overnight. I

have the charger. Would have to buy the battery.

I've thought of a transformer. Have no idea what size or what they

cost.

I've got an old riding mower with a bad transmission. Seems like

overkill, but it has a good 8hp motor on it, and charges the little

battery - so I think I could just run it off that battery when the

motor is running.

Or I could pull the Impala around to the side of the house and tap

into that 12v system.

What sounds like a feasible plan?

Thanks,

Jim

Use the Impala, keep it running as the draw is high attach directly to the battery with clamps.. The lawnmower may work but the amps of the car/truck battery will be better.

Maybe he should just put the 12V winch up on Ebay and then find another
winch that is 120V. Sounds easier to me. If that was the intended
use, why get a 12V one?