Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default Shrinking a carpet?

DaveT159 wrote:
On 8/14/2013 11:33 AM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:20:04 -0600, DaveT159

wrote:

The carpeting in my house was installed during the
winter, and they
apparently didn't bother heating the area and letting it
expand
before installation.

My guess is it was not stretched (kicked) in very well.

Over the last few years the carpet has developed
substantial
wrinkles.

My last new house did the same after a few years. The
cure was to
stretch it again and trim it. You can rent a "knee
kicker" or ones
with poles that will span the room (caution with that
one - you can
tear the carpet)

Can anything be done to get it to contract? I've already
priced
having a reputable company come and trim it, and it's
more than I
feel like spending to cure the problem.

Nothing I've ever seen. How old is this carpet?

Ten years old, I bought the house new, and the carpet was
tight when I
moved in.

As Oren said, rent a power stretcher or a knee kick(if ya
got good knees) and take it loose on 3 walls and just
restretch it.
You might be able to get away with just stretching 2 walls,
just depends how loose it is
Oh yeah, rent the wall trimmer too. It will properly trim
the carpet after you've got it to hang on the tack strip,
then just use putty knife(wide) or a cold chisel to tuck the
carpet in