Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default More Pictures

"dpb" wrote in message

On 8/13/2013 5:45 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Thanks Karl - I wondered about that exact thing. It
simply struck me that layering up strips to make the
curves would be the easiest as I see it, but I didn't
know if that's what was commonly done in factories. So... it seems
though that the inner layers might not
be as good a grain as the outer layer - or veneer. Is
that a correct understanding? Or is it that they will
commonly use a completely different wood for the
laminate? At this point these questions are nothing
more than curiosity on my part.

Yes. Altho that's where the sharpness of the posted
pictures breaks down in determining -- one can see end
grain on the apron of roughly matching pattern -- which
did surprise me a little as I expected the base wood to
be something else entirely rather than looking as though
it probably also is oak. But, what I can't decide on is
that it looks in (I believe it was the first of the last
group) _possible_ that there's a joint in the middle but
that one may be one of dad's optical camera delusions,
not sure.

No, I saw it too. Starts at the bottom about in the center and goes up
maybe 1/2, 2/3 of the way.

I have no idea what it is but it has nothing to do with cameras or lights.
But, as you say, the grain on the apron end matches clear across, more or
less, so I don't think the line is a lamination. Sure wish I could eyeball
that dang table up close and personal

--

dadiOH