Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default More Pictures

"Mike Marlow" writes:
dadiOH wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

I see what lead you astray is that you apparently
interpreted the first pictures as showing vertical
sanding scratches and the dark areas as remaining
original finish instead of as the veneer substrate
cross-grain and the heavier absorption of her applied
stain in those areas. W/ that as a starting point, then
I can see your continuing down that road.

If you are talking to me, yes that is the way I interpreted them. And I
still do, sorta. I agree she sanded through a veneer, don't
believe she made the scratch marks and I don't believe they are grain
on a ply substrate. Consider...

There are two basic ways to make a curved board: bend it or saw it.

Bending...
1. One can bend a solid board. I sure wouldn't try to make that
apron that way, don't know if a manufacturer would or not, doubt it.

2. Laminate it from several thinner boards. Easy to do, this wasn't
laminated according to the edge of the apron.

3. Make multiple kerfs across it leaving a thickness that will bend
easily. This *could *have been done that way, kerfs would show on top
and bottom of apron. The table top would cover the top ones but the
kerfs on the apron bottom would need to be covered in some manner. A
solid piece could have been applied to the bottom; the whole area
below the decorative, horizontal kerf could have been glued on to
cover them but - judging from her not so great photo of the apron
edge - I don't think so.

What nobody has really spoken to in this entire thread (unless I missed
it...) is just how is this type of work typically done? Come on - tables
like this are a dime a dozen. This should be something that is pretty well
understood by those who have ever looked at it. Seems more discussion has
been spent around what people wanted to intrepret in pictures than has been
spent in discussion about how this kind of thing is really typically done in
manufacturing.

I have some difficultly with the idea that the outside of the apron
is veneered. Veneering a compound curve is _difficult_.