Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Sparks inside the cover of push mower

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 22:37:58 -0500, wrote:

I have a push mower that runs just fine. I was mowing after dark tonite
and noticed there are sparks inside the cover, meaning where the pull
string is located, or by the flywheel. That has me puzzled. If that is
not strange enough, just to see if the sparks would stop with the spark
plug wire removed, I popped the spark plug wire off while the engine was
running, using a dry wooden stick. There was a strong spark that
snapped against the head of the engine, and what was really bizarre, is
that the engine kept running with the spark plug wire removed. At first
it arc'ed over to the plug, but I pushed it 2 inches away from the plug,
and it was snapping against a head bolt, and still kept running. That
makes no sense at all. How the **** can it keep running? All I can
think is that the engine was hot enough to ignite the gas, because it
was very hot after mosing down some 2 ft. tall grass and weeds.

I think maybe you invented the diesel engine. Mosing is very much
related to dieseling.

Maybe a hot piece of carbon in the cylinder is igniting it.

Some cars keep running and they call it detonation or dieseling or a
third thing, depending on a couple details.

Actually I don't know.

This is a real puzzler!!!