Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default basement waterproofing

" wrote:
On Sunday, August 11, 2013 10:56:25 PM UTC-4, Gz wrote:
I see many companies listed, some independent, more regional And nationals

with 800 numbers. Hard to get reviews. I was looking into angies list, then

chickened out. Any recommendation in northeast, Pittsburgh area.

Greg

First thing I would do is check what is going on with water outside.
Is the yard graded correctly so that it slopes away from the house?
All gutters working correctly? Pipes to take water away from the
downspouts, out to 8+ ft away from the house? Been out in a heavy
rain to see what is actually going on as opposed to what you think?
Any water pooling up near the house, etc? Those things can be the
source of many basement water problems and can greatly reduce or
eliminate them. I had a problem with water coming into my basement
once. It turned out that one of the corrugated pipes attached to
the down spout wasn't pulled up high enough. It looked OK, but in
a heavy rain, water came pouring out the top of it, right at the
foundation.

If you're going to engage a company, I would try to find neighbors
who have had work done. And make sure you talk to customers of any
of the companies under consideration.

Got a big hill right in back. The gutter was leaking. I need ditches out
back and side of house. Need sump pump, and interior wall recoated. Front
of house needs a little foundation work, and big cement deck removed. Can't
see a way to fix it.
Buying me a foreclosure. House built around 1900.

Greg