Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default More Pictures

On 8/12/2013 8:03 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Karen"caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_7951@exam ple.com
wrote in message
roups.com
More Pics
I do appreciate all the thought everyone has given this.

Thank you,Karen. I wish they were sharper but they are sharp enough to show
that the apron is, indeed, solid oak as I thought originally.

Naturally, dpb now agrees that the apron is solid but asserts that it has a
piece of "bending ply" over it (which would mean it isn't solid oak). That
is certainly possible but I have to ask myself why any manufacturer would
make the apron out of solid oak and then stick a piece of oak veneer ply on
top of it. I could understand - maybe - applying veneer to it but not ply.
For example, if the maker wanted the apron to be "tiger oak" he might have
applied a veneer of that over the apron. (Tiger oak is oak that displays a
distinctive grain due to the way it is cut from the log; because the apron
is circular, it would not be possible to have all of it display that grain
pattern if the apron was sawn out of tiger oak boards; bent, yes, sawn, no).

He also cites the "bright vertical line" as proof of his thesis. Again,
that is possible. It is also possible - probable,IMO - that the "bright
vertical line" is just a reflection from your flash. That edge curves

If the apron weren't veneered, what in the world is the vertical grain
she sanded through to doing there????? Did this manufacturer now
supposedly use jointed "solid oak" but orient pieces alternating 90
degrees going around????

You're usually pretty good, but you're beating a dead horse on this one.

The vertical "line" is actually a vertical strip and measures right at
3/32" thick.

Besides the glue joint being evident at the mould-top junction, the
grain is wrong--it's end on the mould; not on the top.

As for the pressure-sensitive banding veneer application -- as I
described in my first exposition, whatever she does she needs to use a
sanding filler and to fill the little depressions and grain first.
She'll need to do that even if she takes the expedient way out and
paints or uses a solid stain to disguise the grain differences she now
has. Or, she could just sand it all down to the surface of the
substrate but that's a lot of work for no real gain.

The PSA-backed veneer is will easily bend to that curvature and isn't
particularly difficult to place -- start it at the top with a straight
edge of the table top to guide against won't be any real trick at all.

I'll retire now but I've as much time woodworking and wife did the
reclaim "antiques" and refinishing as you have photo'ing and I've seen
too much veneer sanded through and similar construction too often to be
fooled by just a little blurriness in a photo...

She might as well know what it is she's actually looking at as opposed
to not. And I'm certain I've told her that.