Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric cars still a bit ****e

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
Not having a car (for whatever reason) never stopped me getting to
work.

If none of your friends, neighbours or colleagues could help out (as
their vehicles are also mostly discharged) and any public transport was
many times over-loaded already, it can be very difficult.

If it's very overloaded it means plenty are managing to get around without
a car. And would it be better to arrive at work slightly late - owing to
not understanding the PT system than not at all? Although you could of
course simply leave more time for the journey.

I have failed to get to work through lack of a suitable vehicle in the
prevailing circumstances.

Not sure I'd be happy living somewhere which such total reliance on a car
is essential.

cars per se are not essential. But people who transport the food you eat
into the towns you live in, that no longer have railways near them - and
that's quite a lot - are. Also are the people who take te goods from the
putative railways and get them to your local shops and even your door.

Likewise the man who drives up an a van full of bits to fix the
water/electricity/sewage/gas/ whatever that you need to stay alive.

Without motorised transport, the half life of a modern city is about 4
days: In a month most people would simply be dead. And the rest would be
cannibals.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.