Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default getting rid of bees

Big bees in the eaves sound like carpenter bees.

I agree, identification is critical here.

If they are carpenter bees you need to get rid of them. They are as bad as termites at gnawing into your wood. Spray poison at night.

If they are wasps you may be able to coexist. That's what we do. We don't bother them and they don't bother us.

Yellowjackets, different story. Kill on sight. Soapy water spray when we see them, 5 gallon pail of soapy water into the nest at night (here they nest in the ground).

Honey bees? I've found no beekeeper will take them, too much risk of adding a colony disease to their hives. If they nest in the house we spray.