Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tire Rotation Scam

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:29:48 AM UTC-4, gonjah wrote:
On 8/8/2013 10:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

nestork wrote:

Here's proof it's a scam:

They don't rotate the steel shoes on horses do they?

'nuf said?

Based on the latest advice from most car safety experts, tires should

(theoretically) never be rotated.

The latest thinking is that the tires with the most tread should be on the

rear of the vehicle to prevent the rear end from losing traction. If you

only buy 2 tires, many tires dealers will insist that they be installed on

the rear for that reason.

DAGS on 'best tires on rear'

Now, we all know that on a front wheel drive vehicle, the front tires will

wear more rapidly than the rears. If you were to buy 4 new tires, the

minute you drive out of the parking lot and make one turn the front tires

will be worn more than the rears. This more rapid wear will continue the

more you drive. If you rotate these tires to the rear, you break the "rule"

of always having the best tires on the rear.

Therefore, from a safety perspective, the whole concept of rotating tires

is no longer valid.

I always thought it was more about even wear, not safety, per se. Your

tires should never wear to the point they are unsafe on the rear or the

front. But, on the other hand, I don't drive very much.

I think I'll continue to rotate.

+1

Rotating allows them to wear evenly. And if they don't have
enough tread left to be safe, then they shouldn't be on the
car front or back.

When it's time to buy new tires, I and I think most people
would rather buy new tires that are all the same, instead of
having different tires front and back or hoping that the same
tires you bought 4 yeara ago are still available, at a good
price, etc.

But if you don't want to rotate, I don't see it as a big
problem either. One problem with rotation is that I've seen
cases where once the tires were rotated, there was some
vibration. This despite the fact that the tires were all
balanced. So, one argument in favor of not rotating is that
if everything is working OK, why screw around?