Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Electric cars still a bit ****e

On 09/08/2013 15:25, Steve Firth wrote:
Renault are starting to really push their Zoe electric car. It's an amusing
price, but massively subsidised by European governments (ie by you, me and
every other taxpayer).

Renault advertise it as 130 mile range but in the small print is detail
that the real world range is closer to 60 miles. But the interesting detail
is that you have to rent the battery. That will cost the driver £80 a month
for 7500 miles a year.

So that's 13p/mile just for the battery.
And my wife's boring old petrol car costs.... 13p/mile in petrol.

I'm struggling to see what makes the electric car a good idea.

Avoiding the congestion charge in central London?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown