Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default i need advice on how to proceed with my oak kitchen table

On 8/10/2013 2:39 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

On 8/10/2013 1:55 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

Clearly by the last picture the top and the edge mould
bead around the top are separate--the grain is
lengthwise on the mould but end on the top facing the
camera. From that picture the top looks like it
could even be laminate but may just be
light/reflection as the first picture doesn't seem so
disparate as that last. To do anything to the apron you need to strip
the
finish back down and even if paint will have to use a
grain filler to try to mask the difference in texture
owing to the substrate and the remaining veneer.

Why does everyone think the apron is veneer? Sure
doesn't look like it to me. Even in the area that is so
bad with the vertical scratches. Look at the bottom
edge of the apron in the various pictures...look at the
dings and gouges. There is even one area where it
looks like a sizeable piece has splintered out. If
that apron is veneered, it is the thickest veneer I
have ever seen. You are correct in saying the top and edge mold are
separate pieces. The edge mold might even be part of
the apron. Doubt it but could be. As an aside, I wonder why her
pictures are all dated 9
1/2 years ago. Her camera date is messed up? She has
been working on it that long? We are seeing old pix
that no longer represent things as they are now?

Notice that the grain goes up and down 90 degrees in this
picture where she sanded too deeply.

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/14

Could be, I took them to be massive sanding scratches since they extend into
areas where there is clearly oak.

I considered that but I think the streaks would have extended into the
undamaged top veneer also and the scratch marks would have been more
equal in length. These appear to be random lengths like wood grain.