Mike in Mystic

Default Review of the Osbourn 3 miter gauge

Hi Leon,

I had the EB-3 for awhile and found some of the same problems that you
described. The main one being the flex in the fence extension when
crosscutting or mitering long stock. I found it to be a problem even when
doing 90 degree crosscuts. It wasn't as bad as what you described with the
extension as the leading edge during miters, but it was enough to really
annoy me. As far as the resetting of the fence to zero if you move it, I
simply made a mark on the gauge aligned with the left edge of the subfence
(I found this tip he http://www.newwoodworker.com/instleb3scale.html).
This worked very well, and I never had a problem realigning the fence. I
also really liked the ease of switching the fence from left to right. The
other big gripe I had was the miter bar - it was extremely sloppy and poorly
designed, IMO. I never got 100% of the slop out of it.

So, I sold the EB3 and bought a JDS Accumiter and haven't looked back. I
use the gauge all the time and never have to think twice about it. I only
bought the 18-34" version (vs. the 24-48" version), but I haven't found that
to be too limiting. I still use my panel sled for a lot of cuts, but when I
have to make 20 pieces exactly the same length (like a recent job I did
making raised panel doors), the Accu-miter always gets the nod. You might
want to give it a look.

Mike