Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default LEDs solve recessed ceiling light problems

"Pete C." wrote in message news:52063b8b$0$49214

stuff snipped

They (and other LED lights) beat on purchase price as well when you
consider the purchase price vs. life. You need at least several CFLs to
cover the life span of the LED so the cost per hour of service live is
about the same or less depending on the quality of each.

I wonder if the prices reflect the true manufacturing costs or the extra
"utility" of a longer life? I pay $2 each for lithium AA and AAA cells (you
think the smaller cells would be a few cents cheaper!) and it's worth it for
hard to reach or hard to reprogram items. But there, too, I wonder is the
price reflective of the manufacturing costs or the usefulness of not having
to change the battery quite as often?

I also noticed that the increased voltage of lithum AA/AAA batteries changes
the performance of a number of items. X-10 RF transmitters have a longer
reach and the LCD display on my Acurite weather station really "pops" in
high contrast compared to the rechargeable LSD (Low Self Discharge) NiMH
batteries I had been using. It was basically readable at only one narrow
angle on the LSD NiMH cells.

--
Bobby G.