Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default i need advice on how to proceed with my oak kitchen table

"dadiOH" wrote:

Why does everyone think the apron is veneer? Sure doesn't look like it to
me. Even in the area that is so bad with the vertical scratches. Look at
the bottom edge of the apron in the various pictures...look at the dings and
gouges. There is even one area where it looks like a sizeable piece has
splintered out. If that apron is veneered, it is the thickest veneer I have
ever seen.

I really want to say you are indeed correct, but I simply can't determine
from the photos whether the apron is veneered or not. The wood on the
curved apron with no finish at all could well be oak, but it also has that
"Luan look" of substrate used in curved, factory made pieces, although the
underlying grain seems to match for the most part, which tends to bear out
your contention?

That said, and assuming it is factory made, it would be extraordinarily
rare to see curved, solid oak on a piece of factory made furniture in the
last century, or longer, so I keep wishing I could get up close, and hands
on with it to really tell for sure.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)