Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Electric cars still a bit ****e

polygonum wrote:
[snip]

I've always thought that extra weight is a significant penalty when
climbing hills and when accelerating, but relatively little penalty when
travelling at a more or less constant speed on a moderately flat motorway.

Cars like the Fiat 500 have around 85kg of engine and transmission. They
carry 35 kg of fuel. Electric cars have more than double that weight of
battery. The Fiat manages around 70mpg, giving it a 540 mile maximum range.

The Nissan Leaf is inferior in every respect.

The Nissan costs £24k, the Fiat is about half that price.

You'd have to be an utter ****head to buy the Leaf.

I drove a Fiat 500 Twin Air over the Apennines last year. It was OK, coped
with the hills really well. Then again it wasn't lugging around batteries
weighing as much as three fat yanks.

It also got me to my destination. An electric car wouldn't have managed the
distance.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/