Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Electric cars still a bit ****e

"harryagain" wrote:
"Steve Firth" wrote in message
Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
As your pricing example points out, EV's are *nearly* there, and the
Renault pricing deal will be enough to bring-in more early adopters.

Not with a ****y 130 mile range they aren't; I get a 600 mile range
with
a dizzle C4.

I doubt many people actually need a 600 mile range. Few would drive that
distance without stopping - especially in the UK.

I bought the long range tank for my car specifically to give me a better
range than that for when I go touring in Europe. I won't do it non-stop,
but I also don't have to buy fuel at motorway prices.

Also on those sorts of drives fuel stops are a significant drag consuming
as much as a half hour every few hundred miles. With a long range tank
it's
possible to get much further with less stress. And of course there's "fill
up in Luxembourg" syndrome. A fill there with a large tank can save "quite
a bit" of money.

But it costs a lot (of fuel) to haul that weight of fuel around.

Yes harry, having to lug around 80kg of fuel is a real burden when compared
to having to lug around 300-600kg of batteries in order to have half the
range (at best) of a petrol car.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/