Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default removing header support posts

On 8/10/2013 9:11 AM, wrote:
Wanted to remove a couple of posts from this header. Not absolutely sure if the existing header will work not.

This opening is a 10 1/2 ft opening between living and breakfast area.
Should I cut the purlin braces above the header and add a strongback to
support it?

Could I suppose but seem likely to be difficult to get enough of a beam
up there to do anything useful...

pics @
https://picasaweb.google.com/1168999...3009774/Header

* Opened up one of the ugly plywood wrap. Picture "layer" shows what

is underneath. From top to bottom, (1)& (2) top plates, (3)& (4) double
2X6 on stacked on its sides, (5) sheetrock and (6) trim finish covering
sheetrock on top of posts.

* Picture "wide" shows the overall view

* picture "left" shows jack stud in relation to marked header

* picture "attic" shows header from above the top plate with purlin brace on left.

The double tuba-six isn't doing much other than filling the space than a
single one as there's no connection between them.

What open span are you planning on in the end is the key to designing
and sizing any modification. I'd figure on replacing the 1/2" ply w/
bolted steel plate of need width 8" or so would likely be close. Adding
a welded flange to the bottom for some additional flexure restraint will
stiffen it up quite a bit at some fabrication cost if you don't have the
facility to do it yourself.

As always in a major reno like this, the caveat is "consult a professional".