Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - another tablet question

On 10/08/2013 10:49, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 09:42:10 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Supplementary on Android - I have been thinking that a tablet will do as a
Windows (or Linux) laptop replacement.

I am now wondering if the OS and interface are more like a mobile phone on
steroids aimed at doing one thing at a time instead of the usual WIMP
style of multiple application windows sharing a desk top.

I don't know the feasibility of putting a different OS on an Android tablet.

I'm planning to take my Nexus-10 on holiday, in the hope that it will do
*enough* of the things I usually do on a PC to make it unnecessary to
take a laptop.

I very much doubt whether it could ever be a permanent replacement for a
laptop. There are lots of things I do on my laptop for which I wouldn't
know where to start on a tablet! But for holiday use, it's probably ok.

It's certainly ok for web browsing, and reasonable for emails and
usenet. I haven't currently got a finance package which is compatible
with the very old version of Quicken which I use on a PC.

If creating emails and other documents on it, you really need an
external keyboard - and there lies the rub! I've just bought a bluetooth
keyboard which won't work with the Nexus-10, even though it's ok with my
wife's iPad Mini. Apparently there's something in the Android 4.3 update
which is incompatible with bluetooth keyboards - so hopefully the next
update will fix it, but it's likely to be too late for my holiday.

Incidentally, I've not found any way of displaying more than one Ap at a
time. Anyone know how to create a split screen on a Nexus-10 running
Android 4.3?
--
Cheers,
Roger