Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Robotic Arm finally came in.

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

On 8/8/2013 8:15 PM, RogerN wrote:

Do I remember correctly that you mentioned "MAX-NC" at one time? I've been
looking for info on their original kit.

What info are you looking for?

I haven't messed with MaxNC for years but it was my first buy of CNC control
software. They were supposed to send me the step and direction version but
I got the other version where the step motor logic is done in the PC and
transistor bases connect to parallel port outputs. It worked but I wanted
step and direction so I could use better drives, even some servo drives can
take step and direction inputs.

After buying bi-polar chopper stepper drives, I tried a few demo downloads
of different CNC software. I had a program that cut out a Planters Mr.
Peanut that I test ran the different software with. Most of the software
would make a mistake in acceleration and get things out of position,
destroying the part (test ran on a block of scrap Delrin). I ended up using
Micro Kinetics board and software, it seemed to run correctly.

Unless there is some other reason to want MaxNC, I recommend LinuxCNC. It
can work with the parallel port, like MaxNC and Mach3, can work with servos,
steppers, or combination. I haven't messed much with the Classic Ladder PLC
software that comes with it, but might be a good machine control solution,
it's supposed to work with ModBus, so surplus I/O cards may be usable.

RogerN