Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default fence issue with neighbor

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 17:31:00 -0500, Lonesome Dove
wrote:

I'd get the name of every person doing th work. Then I'd have them
sign an agreement with you that if they did not put everything back

I wouldn't sign anything like that.

exactly as it was they will pay to have it done. I'd make all of them
sign it by telling them if they don't you will file trespass and
vandalism charges against them.

This sounds a little like extortion.

Explain to them that the charges might
not stick but it will cost them more in legal fees than it will to
clean up the mess.

This sounds even more like extortion, if one is admitting the charges
are likely invalid, but they will have to pay lawyers.

This may sound unfair to you and even to me, but it was either here or
the legal newsgroup where there was a discussion of the boundary
between extortion and legal behaviour, and iirc this is either right
on the boundary, or it's extortion. . I would google groups for
those discussions and then check with a lawyer before I made any
threats.

Then you have a leg to stand on and you haven't
alienated your neighbor. Out in the country where we live, good fences
make good neighbors. It shouldn't be any different in the city.

Of course things are different in the city. Although extortion
might be the same.

**
Lonesome Dove