Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default fence issue with neighbor

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 18:54:40 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

PV wrote:
TomR wrote:
leza wang wrote:
Hi
I just would love to hear your opinion about this. There is a fence
between our house and neighbor. None of us build the fence. We bought
the houses and the fence was/is there. The neighbor are now doing
waterproof the basement. So they are digging the area close to fence.
They asked me if I will allow them to move the dirt to my place (just
easier than moving to the front of their house). I said no (I do not
want to get all the mess, they are hiring unprofessional workers and
this has been going for 4 weeks. These workers do not have even the
right tools to do the job). Anyway, yesterday we were away when we
came back we saw the fence boards are removed except the frame and
the dirt moved to our backyard! (see pictures below please).

snip

Hi Leza,

Welcome back.

Frankly, I don't think you have any real problem here. It looks like
they are just digging down next to their house to probably parge
and/or replace their basement wall on that side, and maybe do some
other things there to try to waterproof their basement. They
probably had to do the digging by hand (meaning shovels) because
there is so little room there. And, they are right that it would
have been much more difficult to try to move the dirt out front as
they dig. And, it looks like when they are done, they are going to
have to put the dirt back in the hole anyway. So, why make them dig
the dirt, move it out front, then move it back again to put it back
in the whole. And, as someone else wrote, it doesn't appear that you
had any real landscaping going on there anyway.
If it were me in your situation, I would have just let them do what
they are doing and put the dirt on my property, and then move the
dirt back off of my property afterward when they re-fill the hole. And,
I'm sure their plan is to put the fence back together.

They probably covered the dirt with the blue tarp so if it rains the
dirt doesn't wash all over the place and maybe even back into the
hole that they are digging.

My vote is to just let them do what they and leave them alone about
it.
Good luck.

A voice of reason among the cries of the lynch mob, good response and Leza
should listen.

Hmmm,
I concur for the sake of good will between neighbors.
If you start a war between neighbors no one wins.

OMG, you are going to let the neighbor WALK ALL OVER YOU. CALL THE
COPS, Get an injunction. Run up a bunch of legal bills. Get a
survey, stop all work till it's surveyed. Call in the Marines. Make
life as difficult for the neighbor as possible, it's the only way to
prove what a man you are.