Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Identification for onboard switch needed (Receiver Pioneer A-331)

On 10/08/2013 1:59 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"
Phil Allison wrote:

**Dismantle the switches and clean with De-OxitT.

** Stupid, wrong advice.

De-Oxit = Cramolin = snake oil.

**Try using the stuff sometime. It does what it is claimed to do.
Naturally, the spray stuff is useless, but the type that you paint on,
leave for a few minutes and wipe off works very well indeed. Switches I
treated many years ago have long outlasted new replacements.

** Dismantling switches in order to merely clean the internal contacts is
plain nuts.

**I agree. However, in certain circumstances, there is simply no other
way.

** But in 99.9% of case it is not needed at all.

**Perhaps in your experience that may be true. In mine, not so. That
said, my last bottle of Cramolin lasted 20 odd years. Less than 10ml. It
went a long way and reconditioned a lot of contacts. For the rest, I
used regular spray stuff.

The stuff does NOT do what WD40, CRC 2-26 and a host other similar
fluids do in seconds - without any disassembly, waiting or need to be
wiped
off.

**Correct. It does a much better job. MUCH better.

** No it doesn't.

**Again, IME, it does. I've tried pretty much everything on the market.
Including WD40. Have you tried De-Oxit or Cramolin?

It is not a grease solvent, not a lubricant and does not penetrate.

Snake oil mixed with turps would do better.

**Never tried snake oil. De_oxit/Cramolin works extremely well however.

** No it doesn't.

**Again, IME, it does. How did you use it?

It merely has snob appeal.

Only fools bother with that.

**Nope. I use what works.

--